Wednesday, December 31, 2008

SCD Sweet Potato Muffins

I think it is important to blog failures as well as successes... maybe someone has an idea to help...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CPT58zT1L._SL500_.jpg
This morning I made SCD Sweet Potato Muffins based on a recipe from Recipes for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Last night I cooked up some sweet potatoes in the oven. It is pretty easy to do but requires a food processor. I had a Cusinart for many years but recently got a Kitchen aid. I love it.


http://www.cooksacademy.com/easyedit/pictures/productpictures/kitchenaid%20food_processor.jpg

First puree 1 1/2 cups of sweet potatoes.
Add:
  • 1/4 canola oil
  • 1/2 cup agave (or honey)
  • 2 TB pre-mixed Egg Replacer.

Blend well.

In another bowl combine:
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 cup whole hazelnuts

Add to food processor and mix until well blended.

Bake at 325F for 20 to 30 minutes until a knife comes out clean. I used Pampered Chef Stoneware muffin tin and it seems to take a tad longer in that. So make sure to check them at 20 minutes or sooner based on your oven. It seemed to take a long time for these...I kept checking and they were still moist inside. After 35 minutes I took them out of the oven. still not done! fell apart and gooey inside. A few potential things I did wrong.
  • Maybe too much oil in the bottom of the muffin tin?
  • I used egg replacer. We can't do eggs though!
  • I cut down on the sugar...and used agave vs. honey in the recipe.
  • I used sweet potatoes vs. butternut squash. I actually DID bake up squash last night as well but it seemed to watery so I went for the sweet potatoes in stead. But maybe squash bakes up 'dryer' than sweet potatoes???
I just stuck them back in the oven actually. I'll keep you posted but thought I'd rip off this blog post.-

No comments: