Saturday, December 5, 2009

Holiday Baking-Banana Bread

About a year ago Penny posted a wonderful 'template' for making GFCF quick breads. Today my holiday baking was 7 mini-loaves of banana bread! Here is the recipe I use, more or less, for a gigantic batch of batter.

Grease and flour (see note) 7 or 8 small loaf pans or two large pans.

Blend well the wet ingredients
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
6 bananas

Mix together
1 package Trader Joe Gluten Free Pancake flour mix (minus the flour used to coat the pans.)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

Add dry ingredients to wet.

Bake at 350 for approximately 40 minutes to an hour.


NOTES:
  • I grease and flour the pans using the pancake mix. There is just the right amount to coat the pans and make the recipe in one 18 oz. package. Don't skip this step.
  • I use Spectrum Organic All Veg Shortening. I tried 'buttery sticks' and much prefer the shortening.
  • I have tried doing without eggs. They are 'ok' but if you can do eggs, I recommend that. Especially if you are going to give them away as gifts.
  • I freeze bananas. Then when ready to use I partially thaw them in the microwave. The riper, the better.
  • The loaves go from gooey to DONE very quickly. After 40minutes check frequently with a toothpick or knife.

The video below is for your stimming pleasure.





No comments: