Friday, June 13, 2008

Bean and Sausage Soup

My friend B. gave me a great crock-pot recipe for Bean and Sausage soup. It is from THE BEST SLOW COOKER COOKBOOK EVER. Today I tried making a 'quick' version. It was quite tasty. I don't ever use exact amounts...sorry!

Saute 1/2-1 onion and a red pepper.
(also saute garlic if you wish. We have had oodles of garlic in the past few days.)

add:
1 can (12 oz) white beans
1 can (28 oz) tomatoes

approximately 2 cups chicken broth
3-4 precooked sausages (spicy or sweet- your choice)
a dash of salt
a pinch of pepper
a bit of dried basil

Cook and let simmer for 'awhile.' Add a box (10 oz) of frozen spinach. No need to thaw. I had a large bag of frozen spinach so I just added a couple of handfuls. Bring back to a boil and then let simmer again. You could eat it right away but it simmered for 90 min or so because some friends stopped by and then I decided to go for a walk before I ate. I had to add additional broth and water to thin it out. Also in my haste I added too much salt- so I threw in a cut up raw potato (in LARGE chunks) and it soaked up the salt. Good trick! Take out the potato before you serve the soup.

This soup is like many soups.... it is palette and you can add what you like, switch out the beans to another type, add other veggies.... add some Franks hot sauce...

I made a green lettuce salad with avocado, tomato, red pepper and homemade gfcf croutons that I made with bread from Sugar Kisses.

No comments: