Friday, June 13, 2008

Mediterranean Burgers for dinner tonight

This is very loosely based off "Spicy Beef kabobs" from The New Mayo Cookbook. The recipe calls for cumin as well but I do not like cumin. They also serve it with a yogurt sauce but I had pre-made hummus in the fridge which made it easier. (There were quite a few other differences as well...I never seem to be able to follow a recipe.) Andrew really liked them.

1 lb ground beef
1 cup oatmeal pulverized in food processor (use gfcf if you are worried about cross contamination.)
1/4 cup pine nuts chopped fine in food processor
1 or 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
1/2 tsp cardamon
1/2 tsp cinnamon
juice from one lemon
approximately 1/8 cup water

Form into small patties. (Makes about 12 patties.)

Grill or 'fry' on skillet. I used non-stick and it did not need additional oil. I generally don't use non-stick but I bought a new griddle for pancakes and thought I'd give it a whirl for these. It worked out great and I was able to cook them all at once. (I am sure you could use the broiler as well.)

Serve with hummus. I served microwaved winter squash with it. I put the whole squash in the microwave with vent holes. It took about 10 -15 minutes.

No comments: