Monday, June 16, 2008

Fancy Dinner Menu

I'm re-writing this today since we have had our two GFCF feasts (and I took some more food pictures.) We had Mark's sister and family over Saturday and then today (Christmas) my folks came over. For both we had the same side dishes. It was great...


Roasted Potatoes : simply roast red potatoes and sliced onions with salt, pepper and olive oil in a 425degree F oven.


Green beans: again..simply steam green beans and store in fridge until right before dinner. Quickly saute the beans with sliced, crushed or whole almonds at the last minute in some EVOO.




Tossed Salad with various veggies and some avocado and homemade croutons from Sugar Kisses gluten free brown bread. My dad noshed on the croutons not even knowing they were gluten free. I just cubed the bread, tossed with EVOO and salt and pepper and baked in a 400 degree F oven for about 8 minutes. (Keep an eye on them.)

On Saturday for the main dish : Ta variation of crockpot coconut chicken. I load approximately 4 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs in the crockpot, add 2 cans of light coconut milk and 2 cans of chopped tomatoes. I add some salt and pepper and a substantial dash of thyme. When it was done, I put the sauce through a gravy strainer that also took some of the grease away. It isn't really a 'gravy' but it is good on the potatoes.



For Christmas my folks bought some beef tenderloin and we cooked it up. It was wonderful.

Dessert: Namaste brownies with coconut ice cream (home-made- see below) and sides of warmed mistake fudge, chopped almonds and chocolate chips. This was incredible. Everyone liked the coconut ice cream and i was a bit nervous about that. I wish I had taken a picture of the dessert!

For the coconut ice cream: mix 2 cans coconut milk (NOT light), 1 can almond milk, 3/4 cup honey or agave and 'vanilla.' You can use gluten free vanilla however I had only vanilla beans. I scraped half a pod into the honey and then also put the pod in the honey for half the day to let it infuse. I put the mixture in the fridge for a few hours before loading it in the ice cream mixer.

On Christmas day we are having beef tenderloin instead of the chicken.

Can anyone guess what my present was from my SIL...COOKBOOKS!!! I'll put that in another post.

No comments: