Friday, June 13, 2008

Pork, Apple and Cider Stew


I am making a Pork, Apple and Cider Stew from the Christian Homekeeper. As usual, I don't make it to recipe. I was going to do it in the crockpot- then decided to do it as written in the oven- THEN...decided it was such a beautiful day that I tossed it together around 2 pm and Andrew and I headed out to the park. I made some Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Cornbread with rice milk. I just took the cornbread out and it is yummy. I have made the Gluten free pantry cornbread in the past and it was not great.

I did modify a few things in the recipe. I used 1/2 amount chicken broth and 1/2 amount cider per Sylvia's post on the dinner results
. I used turnips and parsnips vs. the rutabaga as I could not find one at the market. The granny smith apples I used fell apart. Not sure what the recommended Jonathan would have done. Also Mark does not like rosemary so I put in thyme. Because we don't do flour I also omitted the flour when searing the meat. I used pork shoulder chops. Also I did not puree the vegetables at the end. It was tasty, not too sweet. I really enjoyed it. I asked Mark if he liked it and he said "It's OK." He does not PRAISE anything unless it is something he loves. He also does not love stews... but i will probably make it again- maybe in a month.

Above is a bonus item... a picture of Andrew at the park. It was such a great fall day there was no way I could turn down going to the park!

No comments: